Ideal for vegetarians and vegans, this vitamin D3 supplement comes in the form of drops and is suitable for all ages including children.
- Vitamin D is most commonly associated with assisting with the maintenance of strong bones and teeth, helping support the functions of the immune system and contributing toward normal muscle functions
- Vitamin D is needed for normal growth and development of bone in children
- Vitamin D3 is the most bioavailable form of this nutrient (Vitamin D)
- Those at particular risk of Vitamin D deficiency are children (under 5 years), the elderly (65 years+), pregnant women and those that rarely get outdoors (lack of sunshine)
Vitamin D contributes to:
- the normal absorption/utilisation of calcium and phosphorus
- normal blood calcium levels
- the maintenance of normal bones and teeth
- the maintenance of normal muscle function
- the normal function of the immune system
Vitamin D also has a role in the process of cell division and is needed for normal growth and development of bone in children.
The Department of Health recommends babies from birth to 1 year of age who are being breastfed should be given a daily supplement containing 8.5 to 10 micrograms (µg) of vitamin D, whether or not the mother is taking a supplement containing vitamin D. Please note they also recommend that all children aged 6 months to 5 years are given vitamin supplements containing vitamins A, C and D every day unless they are having more than 500ml (about a pint) of infant formula (which is fortified with vitamins). It is recommended that adults and children over the age of 1 should have 10µg of vitamin D a day.